Updates, Live

Friday, September 05, 2008

Nicolas de Staël: Birds in Flight

Nicolas de Staël - Birds in Flight, 1951
felt-tipped pen on paper

I always look at this drawing with amazement. It's like reading verses while imagining what they suggest.

Nicolas de Staël von Holstein, born in Sankt Petersburg in 1914, forced to emigrate with his family during the Russian Revolution. He got eventually the French naturalization and died prematurely in 1955: a depression led him to suicide.

His artistic career spanned over his last fifteen years: he produced about thousand paintings. Friend of Arp and Braque, of Sonia and Robert Delauney. One of the masters of the European Lyrical Abstraction.


(Phillips Collection)

1 Comments:

  • I first saw this drawing at the Phillip's Collection and thought it brilliant. I stood there for hours gazing at it. For me he seemed to have captured the movement of the starlings precisely. How, did he do that I wondered. And when I found out he did it with a felt pen, I was floored. I don't know why I was, an artist creates genius with anything. It is still one of my favorite drawings.

    By Blogger italia, at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home