Updates, Live

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Yasunari Kawabata

Yasunari Kawabata, c.1932
photo during the time he was living at
Sakuragi-cho in Ueno (上野桜木町)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yasunari_Kawabata_c1932.jpg)
no copyright infringement intended


I had the last week a discussion with my sister Jill, and Yasunari Kawabata entered the picture. Jill said that she was preferring the style of Mishima, I observed that Kawabata had a more musical name (as it happens she was talking seriously while I was indulging a joke). Jill and I came shortly to Mishima's Patriotism, also known as The Rite of Love and Death. But I'd leave this short story and short film by Mishima for later, as it deserves much more room. For now, let's state things right: both Kawabata and Mishima were great authors, of course. And of course each of us can prefer the style of one of them over the other.


(A Life in Books)

(Jill Rapaport)

(Mishima)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home