Updates, Live

Monday, June 16, 2008

On the Skyway in Rockville, Thinking at Asian Movies



The bridge is between the metro station and downtown Rockville. I tried twice to make a video of it:







Each time I pass on it, I think at the opening sequence in Millennium Mambo of Hou Hsiao-Hsien. The metro train is just leaving the station in front of me. I think at so many train scenes from the movies of Ozu. I have just seen Maborosi, the movie of Kore-eda. Trains are also in that movie, as a central element to support the narrative, also as a tribute to Ozu. It's a shame Ozu is virtually unknown in my country, Romania. He's one of the greatest film directors ever.

Well, there are also British movies to remember, as a jogger appears suddenly: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, of course.



Millennium Mambo, opening scene
(video by shanghanigan)


(Rockville)

(Hou Hsiao-Hsien)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home