Updates, Live

Sunday, August 10, 2008

American Roads: The Gas Stations

Were the cars made for America, or is it the reverse? When I first came to visit America, my son and my daughter -in-law took me from JFK and we made a four hour trip on the highway up to Boston. I was thinking that were I to live US the same day I would remain with the image of the American road only. Endless highways, here and there a gas station like in a desert.

I remembered that first American day from long time ago as I was walking to Merrifield on Lee Highway and I found suddenly a gas station looking quite weird.



It looks like an abandoned gas station. Actually it is running without personnel (it is part of Quarles Fuel Network). That's why the building presents itself with this air of foreclosure.

This air of out of business impressed me. The Gas Station made famous by Hopper came to my mind: it gave also a feeling of loneliness, of melancholy (despite the human presence; but this is the genius of Hopper)



Well, to make a long story short, I was so excited with this Quarles gas station, that I tried to make a video. I'm afraid it's not a very good one, here's what I got:



(Merrifield)

(Hopper)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home