Updates, Live

Friday, February 04, 2011

Nicholas Kristof: We Are All Egyptians

Dr. Nawal El Saadawi, 79 years, a leading Arab feminist, with protesters in Tahrir Square
(image credits: Nicholas D. Kristof)

USA Today: Hundreds of thousands of protesters are jamming Tahrir Square in central Cairo waving Egyptian flags and shouting: We won't leave. He must leave!

Roger Cohen in today's NY Times: Already we hear the predictable warnings from Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu: This could be Iran 1979, a revolution for freedom that installs the Islamists. But this is not 1979, and Egypt’s Facebook-adept youth are not lining up behind the Muslim Brotherhood, itself scarcely a band of fanatics.

Many of my friends are concerned about the events in Egypt. Obviously the Mid East status-quo is no more. I think anyone who loves dignity, democratic values and social fairness must these days to be with the heart there, in Tahrir Square, among those demonstrators who are making history. I can tell all my friends that it's a shame to be scared now. A new regime will emerge and they will be our new partners. Nicholas D. Kristof, who has been in Tahrir Square for a week, says in today's NY Times: the lion-hearted Egyptians I met on Tahrir Square are risking their lives to stand up for democracy and liberty, and they deserve our strongest support — and, frankly, they should inspire us as well. A quick lesson in colloquial Egyptian Arabic: Innaharda, ehna kullina Misryeen! Today, we are all Egyptians!

This should be our thought: Today We Are All Egyptians!

(Zoon Politikon)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Dear Pierre, I wish I could share your optimism when you write: 'I think anyone who loves dignity, democratic values and social fairness must these days to be with the heart there, in Tahrir Square, among those demonstrators who are making history. I can tell all my friends that it's a shame to be scared now. A new regime will emerge and they will be our new partners.' Yes, I love dignity, democratic values and social fairness. I am not sure however that all those who demonstrate in Cairo these days share the same values. I am not sure that the new regime that will emerge will share the same values. And I am not sure that the peace treaty with my country, Israel, which is the cornerstone not only of Israel's life and safety (and of the peace, life and safety of my family) but also of the American policy in the Middle East will be respected by whatever regime will come out of the events happening these days. I heartily wish it is you who is right.

    By Blogger Dan Romascanu, at 8:09 AM  

  • What will happen in Egypt depends on Egyptians. What each of us would like to happen there depends on our personal values. Would you like for Egypt to remain under the dictatorship of Mubarak provided the status-quo in the region doesn't change? I repeat, it is about personal wishes, that speak about personal values. I wish the Egyptian people gets freedom, while I also wish the new regime in Egypt continues to be a factor of stability in the region. Of course, what will happen there depends on Egyptians. What we wish depends on our personal values.

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 1:10 PM  

  • Dear Pierre,

    > Would you like for Egypt to remain under the dictatorship of Mubarak provided the status-quo in the region doesn't change?

    It depends upon where the change in status-quo goes. If democracy in Egypt brings the Moslem Brotherhood in the ruling of Egypt, then I prefer that Mubarak stays. At this point in time nothing is sure, and I have a home and a family and a country to care about. I love dignity, democracy and social fairness, and I am sure so do many of the people protesting today in Egypt. What I do not hear them saying however is that they also love peace with Israel and this concerns me. Then the people who start such revolutions are not always those who end by taking power, we have seen this in Iran. Nobody knows today where will end what started 12 days ago in Egypt.

    > I wish the Egyptian people gets freedom, while I also wish the new regime in Egypt continues to be a factor of stability in the region.

    I also wish the Egyptian people gets freedom, but not at the expense of peace with my country.

    > What we wish depends on our personal values.

    Values are fine but everybody should have the right to enjoy them. Yes, I want the Egyptian people to get freedom. Do they also want the Israeli people to enjoy freedom? I did not hear them saying it.

    So, sorry, I cannot say together with you today 'I am an Egyptian'. Not on any terms.

    By Blogger Dan Romascanu, at 4:52 PM  

  • Nobody in Tahrir made any statement of foreign policy, what they are interested now is just to end a dictatorship, nothing else. At this point nobody can tell if Mubarak remains in power or not, then, provided that Mubarak gives up, who will be the new guys in charge and what they think about the relations with Israel. If, for fear that the relations with Israel will change you would prefer a whole nation to remain under a dictatorship you are wrong. I don't have more to say.

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 5:20 PM  

  • As you say, nobody knows who will be 'the new guys'. They may be very different people from the ones who are protesting today in the square asking for democracy. If the result of ending the dictatorship will be that a darker fundamentalist regime takes its place, many people may regret this change, including those who demonstrate for democracy and freedom today. I hope that I am wrong in my fears.

    By Blogger Dan Romascanu, at 5:30 PM  

  • I also hope you are wrong in your fears.

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home