Updates, Live

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Carlos Lascano: A Shadow of Blue

A Shadow of Blue, 2011
written and directed by Carlos Lascano
no copyright infringement intended
(http://www.carloslascano.com/carloslascano/asob_making.html)



A touching story in which fantasy and reality merge to make dreams come true. How determining can reality be, and how can fantasy unleash an unexpected freedom? Can a fragile world of lights and shadows show us more than a silhouette drawn against the sunlight? A mixed-technique animated short film.


Carlos Lascano: This is a story I’m very fond of, a story I have been wanting to tell for a long time. A story about dreams, about how they fight to become fulfilled. By making this short film I am actually fulfilling one of my dreams... The idea for this short film had been turning over my head for a while, since I saw a printed image that caught my attention: there were two little girls, in their school uniform, walking through the remains of a city destroyed by a war. I thought how amazingly strong those girls were, moving on with their lives on such an adverse environment, even playing around the rubble. And then I realized that maybe it was not that they were strong, it was that children are usually protected by some sort of childhood magic that help them keep their fantasies and imagination alive even when surrounded by despair.


You can watch the movie going to:




Carlos Lascano: For the shadow sequence I wanted to bring the character down to a more realistic level, so instead of an animated character, I used a real person. Since we were going to use only her silhouette, she had to face the camera in a way that would not leave a weird shape. Every movement had to be carefully planned, since her body had to express a wide range of emotions that could not be supported with facial expressions. Working with an actress also allowed me to obtain certain creative feedback from her that was later applied to the character.



(Carlos Lascano)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home