Updates, Live

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bagration

Piotr Bagration
I chatted today with some of my web-friends, and one of us said something about a great movie made at the end of the sixties, the War and Peace, directed by Bondarchuk. Great movie, and great actors, Bondarchuk playing Pierre Bezukhov, and Lyudmila Savelyeva in the role of Natasha, and Vyacheslav Tikhonov as Prince Andrei (I would have admired him some years later in the Seventeen Moments of Spring, a must-see TV series) .
But there was another hero from War and Peace who came today into my mind, the general Piotr Bagration. I can remember how impressed I was when I saw him in the movie.
This Bagration was a remarkable military commander - he died at the battle of Borodino, against Napoleon.
The general's remains were transferred to the place where he had fallen and remain there to this day. The grave was blown up during World War II (reputedly, the local museum only being able to save shreds of bone and cloth from the grave) but has since then been restored.
Bagration was a Georgian prince, the descendant of an aristocratic family known since the tenth century. David Kuropalates, the great-great forefather of Peter Bagration, unified Iberia and Abkhazia and was the first king of Georgia. His adopted son was Bagrat Bagration, who followed as king of Georgia. And the dynasty of the Bagrations would reign in Georgia for 900 years.
The legendary Empress Tamar belonged to the Bagrations - it was under her that Georgia lived her Golden Age. Rustaveli dedicated to Tamar his great poem, The Knight in the Panther's Skin:


I sing of the lion whom the use of lance, shield and sword adorns,
Of Tamar, the Queen of Queens, the ruby-cheeked and jet-haired.
How shall I dare pay tribute to her in praiseworthy verses,
Whom to look upon is to feast upon the choicest of honey?

And the history of Bagrations went on, mixed with the history of Georgia. King Vachtang VI was eventually forced by the events to accept Russian domination.


(Russian and Soviet Cinema)

(Жизнь в Kнигах)

4 Comments:

  • Hello, Pierre!
    I have been visited St. Petersburg a week ago and found out about general Pyotr Bagration. What should I write besides that I am so impressed by him that I spent all my free time serching the web for information about his life. I must admit I am not much into knowing his millitary skills,but have great interest in his well hidden intimate life. Of course, I study his career and battles he lead, but the crucial question that bothers me is his affair with Ekaterina Pavlovna, the sister of Tzar Alexander I. How deep was their relationship,for it had made a great impact on his life and career later. I also read that he was a gambler.

    M.Croatia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 AM  

  • Thank you for your very interesting comment.

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 9:20 AM  

  • I have spent a considerable amount of time researching Bagration, and I have found no evidence that he was a gambler. This misleading information comes, I believe, from a misreading of a section of my friend Alex Mikaberidze's brilliant book, 'Russian Officer Corps of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars', where Alex talks about Russian officers getting into debt, often through gambling. Bagration in fact criticised General Miloradovich, when the latter was under his command in Moldavia in 1809-1810, for gambling; Miloradovich left Moldavia thousands of rubles in debt, including money lent to him by Bagration, which he never paid back. Bagration did indeed incur debts, but there were many reasons for this: the expense of being a guards commander, his generosity and hospitality (anyone who's ever experienced amazing Georgian hospitality will understand why this could get expensive), plus the extravagance of his wife (whose debts he paid, even though they were estranged). Hope this clarifies the matter.

    By Anonymous Lesley Skipper, at 2:10 AM  

  • Thank you for bringing this information to clarify the things. In my opinion, gambler ornot (not a gambler, according to your information) he remains anyway a great war hero. Thank you again!

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home