Updates, Live

Friday, October 30, 2009

Ireland's Four Courts in Courthouse


I've just got an invitation in my eMail for Halloween, at Ireland's Four Courts in Courthouse, the Arlington County.
I cannot honor it any more, as I am now in Massachusetts, but I remember a fine evening I spent there on the terrace, with a glass of good Irish beer, and some fries. There were three guys at another table, two young gentlemen and a young lady, and we started a discussion together. I felt at the beginning like they were somehow making fun, so I answered kind of cool. But I soon realised that I was actually tired after a long work day and that they were just nice. I told them this and we became friends immediately, despite of age difference. So the rest of the evening was great.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • One of my kindest memories was spending a week in a place in the North of the Republic of Ireland that was called Buncrana. I was working at that time on computer software for dyeing machines, and I was sent there to save the world, meaning to save the shining black of the Batman cap at the Fruit of the Loom factory that was the biggest industry of the village and of the whole area.

    As it happens in such occasions y local colleagues invited me at a restaurant in the first evenings, at their home in the second ome, but for the rest of the week I had to kill the time by myself and the clock was showing the 80s still, so no Internet :-(

    The six rooms hotel was also hosting the pub of the village. In the evening I went down to the dining room, and found there a crowd of folks quite similar with the ones you describe. After a few minutes I knew their names and they knew mine. A quarter an hour later I became part of the rounds of beers payers. Then that red-haired Irish girl came with her guitar and the singing sessions started, which lasted for hours.

    Buncrana may still be the only Irish village where 'C-asa beu oamenii buni' is part of the repertoire.

    By Blogger Dan Romascanu, at 3:02 AM  

  • Dan, this is a great story!

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home