Updates, Live

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Prague



I had the occasion to visit Prague three times. First time it was in 1967 and the Czech Spring was already breathing through all pores. I was twenty two years old: at that age you fall in love for ever. I felt in love for Prague.

I came again to Prague in 1979. I was attending a conference on computer sciences. It was at the Electromechanical School and there was there an elevator of Pater kind: it was moving like a perpetuum mobile, without stopping at all. It was a very slow move, so you were able to jump in and out. I was still young and I tried all possible tours of the city: the tour of the breweries, of the towers and gardens, of the churches.

The third time, in 1984, my first wife got severely ill during the voyage, and we had to take the first plane back to Bucharest. My son was with us, his first international trip. He was less than fourteen and he was a great help for us. My wife passed away the following year.

And so Prague remained for me the city of my happiest and my saddest moments of my life. No other city offered me such intimacy for the good and for the bad. That's why I love it so much.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • The city is beautiful this time of year! I am thinking of going on a few city breaks in Prague later in the year but the summer looks like the best time?

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:42 AM  

  • Mark, Prague has its beauties for each time you go there, on summer and on winter, on fine weather and on heavy rain, and each part of the city has its own beauties, different from those of the other parts. You can tour the gardens and the towers, or the churches, or the breweries, you can go there to find Art Nouveau, or Gothic, or Romantic. It is a miraculous place.

    By Blogger Pierre Radulescu, at 10:56 AM  

  • i've been fascinated by Prague since i was 18 yrs old. i've never been to there but i am keeping my fingers crossed to visit this wonderful city soon.

    By Blogger jm, at 1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home