Updates, Live

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Birthplace of Fast Food



In 1940, Dick and Mac McDonald opened their McDonald's Bar-B-Que restaurant in San Bernardino, CA, and in 1949 they replaced the potato chips on their menu with French fries.

We have a McDonald's franchise in walking distance, and my grandson is all for it. Frankly I am no more a fan of the Mc, but I used to be. On the first day of 2002 I went to a McDonald's to have a cup of coffee, and I did it on purpose: to drink there my first coffee from that year. You can smile reading this confession, but let me explain: I was preparing to move to the US (I did it in September that year), and this gesture, to start the year at McDonald's, was some kind of a symbol of my commitment. Of course, once in America, I discovered that it meant much more than fast food culture.

But fast food history wouldn't be made until salesman Ray Kroc visited the place in 1954. A year later, Kroc opened his first McDonald's franchise, in 400 N. Lee Street, Des Plaines, IL, in a red-and-white-tiled building with bright yellow arches. Ten years later, there were more than 700 McDonald's restaurants in the United States.





(America viewed by Americans)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home