Updates, Live

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

e. e. cummings



Edward Estlin Cummings (1894–1962), popularly known as E. E. Cummings, with the abbreviated form of his name often written by others in lowercase letters as e.e. cummings, was an American poet, painter, essayist, author, and playwright. His body of work encompasses approximately 2,900 poems, two autobiographical novels, four plays and several essays, as well as numerous drawings and paintings. He is remembered as an eminent voice of 20th century poetry (wiki).

Born into a Unitarian family, Cummings exhibited transcendental leanings his entire life. As he grew in maturity and age, Cummings moved more toward an I, Thou relationship with God. His journals are replete with references to le bon Dieu as well as prayers for inspiration in his poetry and artwork, such as Bon Dieu! may I some day do something truly great. amen (wiki).

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                            i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you





(A Life in Books)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home