Updates, Live

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Truman Capote

Truman Capote in 1955
a photo by Richard Avedon
(La Vida en FotografĂ­a)
no copyright infringement intended

Several years ago my sister Jill gave me a  book by Truman Capote: The Muses are Heard. I hadn't read anything by him in original before. I was gained by the style, very matter of fact. I promised myself to look for others books by him. Later I bought a collection including Breakfast at Tiffany's. I had seen the movie with Audrey Hepburn, that was long, long time ago. So I started to read it, only I must say I became a very chaotic reader, starting more books in parallel. I watched then the movie where Capote was played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It was great and I'll come back to all of this. I knew many of his books from Romanian translations.

Well, yesterday I found on Facebook a post made by a Romanian journalist that I enjoy reading (Andrei Craciun): he was referring, among other books, Summer Crossing: Prima carte scrisa de Truman Capote si regasita dupa patruzeci de ani. O revelatie. Domnisoara Grady e una dintre cele mai seducatoare si mai tragice femei ale literaturii. Blestematul de Capote stia. (The first book written by Truman Capote, considered lost and rediscovered after forty years. A revelation. Miss Grady is one of the most seductive and tragic women in literature. That son of a gun Capote knew that). I found a great excerpt from the book on The New Yorker. It was published there in 2005.



(A Life in Books)

(Jill Rapaport)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home