Updates, Live

Monday, October 22, 2007

Phillips Collection - The Old Clock

Goya, Repentant Saint PeterPeter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. (Mathew 26, 33 - 35)
...
And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly. (Mathew 26, 75)

I met some friends two weeks ago and it came in our talk the subject of the Repentance of Saint Peter - so deeply authentic in his initial enthusiasm, in his quick denial, in his final repentance.



The Old Clock
And yesterday it happened that I was at the Phillips Collection, where the old clock has been quietly and solemnly watching the Repentance, as imagined by Goya and by El Greco.

El Greco - Repentant Saint Peter, 1600

(Phillips Collection)

(Goya)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home