Updates, Live

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Baudelaire: Laquelle est la Vraie?

A short prose poem, elegantly structured. Elegant in its simplicity, and also in something I would call determination: the world is as it is, good and evil are the two faces of the same truth. A strange story of Poe, William Wilson, comes to mind. It's Ormuzd and Ahriman, the cosmic principle of duality. Hegel was talking about the unity of contradictions, and all Hegelians after him, Marx and all others: were the old Persians right after all?

Bernadette Kelly's lithograph follows Baudelaire lines with an equivocal subtlety: a naked woman covering half of her face, joined by her shadow that seems to be a grotesque version.


Bernadette Kelly, Laquelle est la Vraie?, 1979
(https://www.idburyprints.com/)


J'ai connu une certaine Bénédicta, qui remplissait l'atmosphère d'idéal, et dont les yeux répandaient le désir de la grandeur, de la beauté, de la gloire et de tout ce qui fait croire à l'immortalité.

Mais cette fille miraculeuse était trop belle pour vivre longtemps; aussi est-elle morte quelques jours après que j'eus fait sa connaissance, et c'est moi-même qui l'ai enterrée, un jour que le printemps agitait son encensoir jusque dans les cimetières. C'est moi qui l'ai enterrée, bien close dans une bière d'un bois parfumé et incorruptible comme les coffres de l'Inde.

Et comme mes yeux restaient fichés sur le lieu où était enfoui mon trésor, je vis subitement une petite personne qui ressemblait singulièrement à la défunte, et qui, piétinant sur la terre fraîche avec une violence hystérique et bizarre, disait en éclatant de rire: C'est moi, la vraie Bénédicta! C'est moi, une fameuse canaille! Et pour la punition de ta folie et de ton aveuglement, tu m'aimeras telle que je suis!

Mais moi, furieux, j'ai répondu: Non! non! non! Et pour mieux accentuer mon refus, j'ai frappé si violemment la terre du pied que ma jambe s'est enfoncée jusqu'au genou dans la sépulture récente, et que, comme un loup pris au piége, je reste attaché, pour toujours peut-être, à la fosse de l'idéal.

And here is an English version:

I knew a certain Benedicta who filled the air with the ideal and from whose eyes shone forth the desire for grandeur, beauty, glory, and everything that makes us believe in immortality.

But that miraculous girl was too beautiful to live long, and she died several days after I met her, and it was I myself who buried her, on a day when the Spring shook its incense burner even in the cemeteries. It was I who buried her, in a nice snug coffin made out of perfumed and incorruptible wood, like boxes from India.

And while my eyes were fixed on the spot where I had covered with earth my treasure, I suddenly saw a little person who looked remarkably like the dead woman and who, stomping on the freshly-dug earth with a hysterical and bizarre violence, burst out laughing and said: I am the real Benedicta! Me, well-known as a slut! And as punishment for your folly and for your blindness, you will love me just as I am!

But, furious, I replied: No! No! No! And to better emphasize my refusal, I struck the earth so violently with my foot that my leg sunk to the knee into the recently-dug sepulcher, and, taken like a wolf in a trap, I remain stuck, forever perhaps, in the grave of the ideal.


(Baudelaire)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home