Updates, Live

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The Books of Borges


The books that Borges has read make a Library of Babel: hundreds and hundreds of books, with their end pages scribbled by him. They are gathered in a room whose window overlooks a garden, narrow and long, bordered by the other houses, a pulmón de manzana.

Fortunate those who can look at the books that Borges has read, to stare at the notes written by his hand! I remember, long time ago, I was visiting Weimar and I entered the house of Liszt. There was a small piano, without chords, only the keyboard: the master had used it for keeping the velocity of his fingers. A mold of his hand was resting on the piano. I looked at it, I looked at the keyboard and I touched it gently. No sound was coming, as there were no chords. I was imagining the fingers of Liszt walking over the keys.

Fortunate those who can look at the window from the room that keeps the books read by Borges: they will see the world outside, as the master has seen it.

You should read the article written by María Kodama, who was the wife of Borges:



(Borges)

(Liszt)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home