Updates, Live

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Aimez-vous Brahms?



Aimez-vous Brahms? By the time I saw this movie, in the 1960's I didn't feel anything special for the music of Brahms. I had of course a lot of respect for him, but it was far from being my hat.

It took me time to start enjoying his music, and it happened in small steps: it began with the Variations on a Theme by Haydn, then other steps followed.

By the way, the movie ran in America with another title, Goodbye Again. Based on a novel by Françoise Sagan, featuring Ingrid Bergman, Yves Montand, and an adorable Anthony Perkins. Here is a small fragment from the music that was used in Aimez-vous Brahms: the third movement from Symphony No.3.



Do you like Brahms?

Eduard Hanslick: many music lovers will prefer the titanic force of the First Symphony; others, the untroubled charm of the Second, but the Third strikes me as being artistically the most nearly perfect.


Listen now at the same music, as it was adapted by Georges Auric for various parts of the movie.






(Old Masters)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home