Updates, Live

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Baudelaire: Portraits de Maîtresses

For a fanatic of Political Correctness this prose poem of Baudelaire should be a scandal: an endless story with four men who kill their time talking blah-blah about women. Actually here is the point: abolishing a narrative of abolishing time. After all, if time is just an illusion, what's the need for narrative any more? Says Cheryl L. Kruger, by sabotaging prose itself, Baudelaire tests the boundaries of both time and genre; Portraits de maîtresses refers to killing time, an equivocal notion signifying depleting the finite time of life, and abolishing time to attain infinity; this conundrum recalls the intrinsic paradox of any text called a prose poem; in these revealing work, the desire to arrest time parallels a tendency to manipulate temporal progression on the narrative plane; this story-laden prose poem eludes time by resisting its progression within the very structure and discourse meant to advance it.

The key of the poem is in its last line, Ensuite on fit apporter de nouvelles bouteilles, pour tuer le Temps qui a la vie si dure, et accélérer la Vie qui coule si lentement (Then they called for new bottles of wine, to kill Time, which has such a hard life, and to accelerate Life, which flows by so slowly) - time has sense only filled with facts that have sense; other than that there is no time, just chaos, and killing time is actually floating senselessly through chaos; the same way, a narrative has sense only filled with facts that have sense, it means, filled with time; and here is the genius of the poet, to create a narrative showing that narrative is no more.

Michèle Battut has a great illustration, as equivocal, as both the poem and time are. Magritte comes into mind again.

Michèle Battut, Portraits de Maîtresses, 1988
(https://www.idburyprints.com/)


As for Bernadette Kelly, she has a really cool replica: with her superb flow of dark tones she imagines the Maîtresses talking blah-blah about their lovers.

Bernadette Kelly - Portraits de Maîtresses, 1979
(https://www.idburyprints.com/)


Dans un boudoir d'hommes, c'est-à-dire dans un fumoir attenant à un élégant tripot, quatre hommes fumaient et buvaient. Ils n'étaient précisément ni jeunes ni vieux, ni beaux ni laids; mais vieux ou jeunes, ils portaient cette distinction non méconnaissable des vétérans de la joie, cet indescriptible je ne sais quoi, cette tristesse froide et railleuse qui dit clairement: Nous avons fortement vécu, et nous cherchons ce que nous pourrions aimer et estimer.
L'un d'eux jeta la causerie sur le sujet des femmes. Il eût été plus philosophique de n'en pas parler du tout; mais il y a des gens d'esprit qui, après boire, ne méprisent pas les conversations banales. On écoute alors celui qui parle, comme on écouterait de la musique de danse.
Tous les hommes, disait celui-ci, ont eu l'âge de Chérubin: c'est l'époque où, faute de dryades, on embrasse, sans dégoût, le tronc des chênes. C'est le premier degré de l'amour. Au second degré, on commence à choisir. Pouvoir délibérer, c'est déjà une décadence. C'est alors qu'on recherche décidément la beauté. Pour moi, messieurs, je me fais gloire d'être arrivé, depuis longtemps, à l'époque climatérique du troisième degré où la beauté elle-même ne suffit plus, si elle n'est assaisonnée par le parfum, la parure, et caetera. J'avouerai même que j'aspire quelquefois, comme à un bonheur inconnu, à un certain quatrième degré qui doit marquer le calme absolu. Mais, durant toute ma vie, excepté à l'âge de Chérubin, j'ai été plus sensible que tout autre à l'énervante sottise, à l'irritante médiocrité des femmes. Ce que j'aime surtout dans les animaux, c'est leur candeur. Jugez donc combien j'ai dû souffrir par ma dernière maîtresse.
"C'était la bâtarde d'un prince. Belle, cela va sans dire; sans cela, pourquoi l'aurais-je prise? Mais elle gâtait cette grande qualité par une ambition malséante et difforme. C'était une femme qui voulait toujours faire l'homme. Vous n'êtes pas un homme! Ah! si j'étais un homme! De nous deux, c'est moi qui suis l'homme! Tels étaient les insupportables refrains qui sortaient de cette bouche d'où je n'aurais voulu voir s'envoler que des chansons. A propos d'un livre, d'un poème, d'un opéra pour lequel le laissais échapper mon admiration: Vous croyez peut-être que cela est très fort? disait-elle aussitôt; est-ce que vous vous connaissez en force? et elle argumentait.
Un beau jour elle s'est mise à la chimie; de sorte qu'entre ma bouche et la sienne je trouvai désormais un masque de verre. Avec tout cela, fort bégueule. Si parfois je la bousculais par un geste un peu trop amoureux, elle se convulsait comme une sensitive violée...
- Comment cela a-t-il fini? dit l'un des trois autres. Je ne vous savais pas si patient.
- Dieu, reprit-il, mit le remède dans le mal. Un jour je trouvai cette Minerve, affamée de force idéale, en tête à tête avec mon domestique, et dans une situation qui m'obligea à me retirer discrètement pour ne pas les faire rougir. Le soir je les congédiai tous les deux, en leur payant les arrérages de leurs gages.
- Pour moi, reprit l'interrupteur, je n'ai à me plaindre que de moi-même. Le bonheur est venu habiter chez moi, et je ne l'ai pas reconnu. La destinée m'avait, en ces derniers temps, octroyé la jouissance d'une femme qui était bien la plus douce, la plus soumise et la plus dévouée des créatures, et toujours prête! et sans enthousiasme! Je le veux bien, puisque cela vous est agréable. C'était sa réponse ordinaire. Vous donneriez la bastonnade à ce mur ou à ce canapé, que vous en tireriez plus de soupirs que n'en tiraient du sein de ma maîtresse les élans de l'amour le plus forcené. Après un an de vie commune, elle m'avoua qu'elle n'avait jamais connu le plaisir. Je me dégoûtai de ce duel inégal, et cette fille incomparable se maria. J'eus plus tard la fantaisie de la revoir, et elle me dit, en me montrant six beaux enfants: Eh bien! mon cher ami, l'épouse est encore aussi vierge que l'était votre maîtresse. Rien n'était changé dans cette personne. Quelquefois je la regrette: j'aurais dû l'épouser.
Les autres se mirent à rire, et un troisième dit à son tour:
Messieurs, j'ai connu des jouissances que vous avez peut-être négligées. Je veux parier du comique dans l'amour, et d'un comique qui n'exclut pas l'admiration. J'ai plus admiré ma dernière maîtresse que vous n'avez pu, je crois, haïr ou aimer les vôtres. Et tout le monde l'admirait autant que moi. Quand nous entrions dans un restaurant, au bout de quelques minutes chacun oubliait de manger pour la contempler. Les garçons eux-mêmes et la dame du comptoir ressentaient cette extase contagieuse jusqu'à oublier leurs devoirs. Bref, j'ai vécu quelque temps en tête à tête avec un phénomène vivant. Elle mangeait, mâchait, broyait, dévorait, engloutissait, mais avec l'air le plus léger et le plus insouciant du monde. Elle m'a tenu ainsi longtemps en extase. Elle avait une manière douce, rêveuse, anglaise et romanesque de dire: J'ai faim! Et elle répétait ces mots jour et nuit en montrant les plus jolies dents du monde, qui vous eussent attendris et égayés à la fois. - J'aurais pu faire ma fortune en la montrant dans les foires comme monstre polyphage. Je la nourrissais bien; et cependant elle m'a quitté... - Pour un fournisseur aux vivres, sans doute? - Quelque chose d'approchant, une espèce d'employé dans l'intendance qui, par quelque tour de bâton à lui connu, fournit peut-être à cette pauvre enfant la ration de plusieurs soldats. C'est du moins ce que j'ai supposé.
- Moi, dit le quatrième, j'ai enduré des souffrances atroces par le contraire de ce qu'on reproche en général à l'égoïste femelle. Je vous trouve mal venus, trop fortunés mortels, à vous plaindre des imperfections de vos maîtresses!
Cela fut dit d'un ton fort sérieux, par un homme d'un aspect doux et posé, d'une physionomie presque cléricale malheureusement illuminée par des yeux d'un gris clair, de ces yeux dont le regard dit: Je veux! ou Il faut! ou bien: Je ne pardonne jamais!
Si, nerveux comme je vous connais, vous, G..., lâches et légers comme vous êtes, vous deux, K... et J..., vous aviez été accouplés à une certaine femme de ma connaissance, ou vous vous seriez enfuis, ou vous seriez morts. Moi, j'ai survécu, comme vous voyez. Figurez-vous une personne incapable de commettre une erreur de sentiment ou de calcul; figurez-vous une sérénité désolante de caractère un dévouement sans comédie et sans emphase; une douceur sans faiblesse; une énergie sans violence. L'histoire de mon amour ressemble à un interminable voyage sur une surface pure et polie comme un miroir, vertigineusement monotone, qui aurait réfléchi tous mes sentiments et mes gestes avec l'exactitude ironique de ma propre conscience, de sorte que je ne pouvais pas me permettre un geste ou un sentiment déraisonnable sans apercevoir immédiatement le reproche muet de mon inséparable spectre. L'amour m'apparaissait comme une tutelle. Que de sottises elle m'a empêché de faire, que je regrette de n'avoir pas commises! Que de dettes payées malgré moi! Elle me privait de tous les bénéfices que j'aurais pu tirer de ma folie personnelle. Avec une froide et infranchissable règle, elle barrait tous mes caprices. Pour comble d'horreur, elle n'exigeait pas de reconnaissance, le danger passé. Combien de fois ne me suis-je pas retenu de lui sauter à la gorge, en lui criant: Sois donc imparfaite, misérable! afin que je puisse t'aimer sans malaise et sans colère! Pendant plusieurs années, je l'ai admirée, le coeur plein de haine. Enfin, ce n'est pas moi qui en suis mort!
- Ah! firent les autres, elle est donc morte?
- Oui! cela ne pouvait continuer ainsi. L'amour était devenu pour moi un cauchemar accablant. Vaincre ou mourir, comme dit la Politique, telle était l'alternative que m'imposait la destinée! Un soir, dans un bois... au bord d'une mare..., après une mélancolique promenade où ses yeux, à elle, réfléchissaient la douceur du ciel, et où mon coeur, à moi, était crispé comme l'enfer...
- Quoi!
- Comment!
- Que voulez-vous dire?
- C'était inévitable. J'ai trop le sentiment de l'équité pour battre, outrager ou congédier un serviteur irréprochable. Mais il fallait accorder ce sentiment avec l'horreur que cet être m'inspirait; me débarrasser de cet être sans lui manquer de respect. Que vouliez-vous que je fisse d'elle, puisqu'elle était Parfaite?
Les trois autres compagnons regardèrent celui-ci avec un regard vague et légèrement hébété, comme feignant de ne pas comprendre et comme avouant implicitement qu'ils ne se sentaient pas, quant à eux, capables d'une action aussi rigoureuse, quoique suffisamment expliquée d'ailleurs.
Ensuite on fit apporter de nouvelles bouteilles, pour tuer le Temps qui a la vie si dure, et accélérer la Vie qui coule si lentement.

Here is an English version:

In a men's boudoir -- that is to say, a smoking room attached to an elegant house of ill-repute -- four men were smoking and drinking. They weren't exactly either young or old, either handsome or ugly, but young or old, they bore the not negligeable distinction of being veterans of joy, that certain undescribable something, that cold and bantering sadness that clearly says: We have lived hard, and we seek something that we might love and esteem.

One of them turned the conversation toward the subject of women. It would have been more philosophical not to talk about it at all, but there are wits who, after having drunk, do not scorn banal talk. One listens to him who speaks as one would listen to dance music.

All men, this gentleman said, Were once the Cherub's age: that is the time when, for a lack of dryads, one embraces the trunks of oak trees without disgust. It's the first stage of love. At the second stage, you start to be more selective. To be able to deliberate is already a form of decadence. That's when one seeks out beauty with determination. As for me, gentlemen, I pride myself on the fact that I am now, and have been for a long time, in the critical era of the third stage of love, when even beauty itself no longer suffices, if it is not seasoned with perfume, jewelry, etc. I would even admit that sometimes I aspire, as to an unknown happiness, to a certain fourth stage that must be marked by absolute calm. But throughout my entire life, except at the Cherub's age, I have been more sensible than any other to the enervating stupidity, to the irritating mediocrity of women. What I especially love in animals is their candor. Judge, then, how much I must have suffered with my last mistress.

She was the bastard daughter of a prince. Beautiful -- that goes without saying: why else would I have taken her? But she spoiled that great virtue with her unseemly and deformed ambition. She was a woman who always wanted to play the man. You aren't a man! Oh! If I were a man! Of the two of us, I'm the real man! Such was the insufferable refrain that came out of a mouth from which I would like to have seen nothing fly but songs. If I let escape my admiration for a book, a poem, or an opera: You think that that's really strong?, she would say immediately, What do you know about strength?, and she would argue with me.

One fine day she took up chemistry, so that between my mouth and her's I henceforth always found a glass mask. And with all that, very prudish. If now and then I squeezed her just a little bit too amorously, she would throw a fit, as though she were a fragile blossom being violated ...

-- How did it end?, said one of the other three. I didn't know you were so patient.

-- God, he replied, Provided the remedy in the disease. One day I found this Minerva, so hungry for ideal strength, in very private conversation with my valet, and in a position that forced me to withdraw discreetly so as not to make them blush. That evening, I dismissed them both, having paid them their back wages.

-- As for me, the interrupter replied, I can't complain about anyone but myself. Happiness came to live with me, and I didn't recognize it. Not so long ago, destiny granted me the enjoyment of a woman who was really the sweetest, most submissive, and most devoted of creatures, and always eager! -- but without too much enthusiasm! I want it because it's agreeable to you. That was her usual response. You could beat this wall or this sofa, and you wouldn't get any more sighs out of them than came out of the breast of my mistress during the most furious transports of love. After a year of living together, she admitted to me that she had never known pleasure. I became disgusted with this inequitable duel, and that incomparable girl married. Later, the fancy took me to see her again, and she said to me, as she showed me her six beautiful children: Well, my dear friend, the wife is still as much of a virgin as your mistress was. Nothing had changed in her. Sometimes I miss her: I should have married her.

The others laughed, and a third said in his turn:

Gentlemen, I have known an enjoyment that you have perhaps neglected. I am speaking of the comic aspects of love, and of a comedy that does not exclude admiration. I admired my last mistress more, I believe, than either of you could have hated or loved yours'. And everyone admired her as much as I did. When we went into a restaurant, after a few minutes everyone stopped eating to stare at her. Even the waiters and the barmaid felt the effects of this contagious ecstasy, to the point that they forgot to do their work. In short, I lived for a certain time in close contact with a living phenomenon. She ate, chewed, gnawed, devoured, swallowed, but with the sprightliest and most carefree manner in the world. For a long time she kept me in ecstasy. She had a sweet, dreamy, English, and romantic way of saying: I'm hungry! And she repeated those words night and day, showing the prettiest teeth in the world, which would have moved and rejoiced you at one and the same time. -- I could have made a fortune at the fairs by showing her as a polyphagous monster. I fed her well, and yet she left me ... -- For a food merchant, undoubtedly? -- Something like that, a sort of employee at the army commissariat who, through some special connections known only to himself, was perhaps able to furnish that child with the daily rations of several soldiers. At least, that's what I suspect happened.

I have endured atrocious suffering from the very contrary of that for which one generally reproaches the egotistical female, said the fourth. I don't think you have any right, too fortunate mortals, to complain about the imperfections of your mistresses!

This was said in a very serious tone, by a man of a gentle and sedate appearance, with an almost clerical physiognomy, unhappily lit by clear gray eyes, by those eyes whose gaze says: I want!, or: It must be!, or even: I never forgive!

If, -- as nervous as I know you are, G..., as cowardly and frivolous as you two are, K... and J... -- if you had been coupled with a certain woman of my acquaintance, either you would have fled or you would have died. I survived, as you can see. Imagine a person incapable of committing an error of sentiment or calculation; imagine a distressing serenity of character, a devotion without drama and without emphasis, a gentleness without weakness, an energy without violence. The story of my love is like an interminable voyage on a surface as pure and polished as a mirror, dizzyingly monotonous, and which reflected all of my feelings and my actions with the ironic exactitude of my very own conscience, so that I could not permit myself an unreasonable action or feeling without immediately perceiving a mute reproach in my inseparable specter. Love seemed to me like a form of tutelage. What idiocies she kept me from doing -- and which I regret not having committed! What debts paid despite myself! She deprived me of all of the benefits that I might have drawn from my personal folly. With a cold and insurmountable rule, she barred all of my caprices. As the crowning horror, she didn't even demand gratitude, once the danger was past. How many times did I restrain myself from leaping at her throat, yelling: Be imperfect, wretch! So that I can love you comfortably and without anger!? For several years, I admired her, my heart filled with hatred. In the end, it wasn't me who died of it!

-- Oh!, said the others, Then she is dead?

-- Yes! Things couldn't continue like that. Love had become a crushing nightmare for me. Conquer or die, as the Politic would say, such was the choice destiny imposed upon me! One evening, in a woods ... at the edge of a pond ..., after a melancholy walk during which her own eyes reflected the gentleness of the sky and my own heart was as irritated as hell ...

-- What!

-- How!

-- What do you mean to say?

"- It was inevitable. I have too much sense of equity to beat, insult, or dismiss a blameless servant. But this feeling had to be set in accord with the horror that this being inspired in me; I had to get rid of her without showing her any disrespect. What do you want me to have done with her, since she was perfect?

The man's three other companions looked at him with uncertain and slightly stunned expressions, as if pretending to not understand and as if implicitly acknowledging that they did not feel, as to themselves, capable of so rigorous an action, although sufficient explanation had been provided for it, after all.

Then they called for new bottles of wine, to kill Time, which has such a hard life, and to accelerate Life, which flows by so slowly.



(Baudelaire)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home